Paul Keeton wrote:
> Thanks Robert,
>
>                    Do you know if anyone might have used the old Fanuc
> drives? If I could reuse mine it could save a big bundle!

The problem with a Fanuc retrofit is that they generally provided
synthesized tachometer signals from the control.  The velocity servo
amps need a velocity feedback signal to close the velocity loop, and
most Fanuc motors don't have tachometers.

So, there are a couple ways to do it.  You can add a DC tachometer belt
driven off the motor shaft.  There is a guy in Bulgaria, I think, that
is making a dual-channel encoder to tach converter for 100 Euros.  Or,
you could rig a HAL component that produced a tach signal from the
encoder raw delta and sent it out a DAC channel.

The Fanuc servo amps can also be switched to torque mode operation.
This would require some re-tuning of the drive itself.

As for analog velocity servo interfaces, there is the Pico Systems PPMC
(that's me) and Mesa.  You'd need two DAC channels per axis to go this
way, one for velocity command and one for synthetic tach.  You'd want to
make sure your encoders have plenty of resolution to make this work well.

Jon