On Sun, 11 Apr 2010, sam sokolik wrote:

> Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:31:09 -0500
> From: sam sokolik <sa...@empirescreen.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Old scales - any hope?
>
> there are actually 4 coils.  Each head has 2 shielded cables coming from
> the head - each cable has 4 conductors + shield.  At the controller  -
> the 2 coils on each cable are hooked together to form a center tapped
> setup.   (agian - if I have it right - they excite the 2 outside
> connections of the 2 center tapped hookups - then the center taps get
> summed together and shaped. this from trying to read the desciption on
> the schematic I scanned - plus you can see the coil hookups) :)
>
> thanks
> sam

Sounds like that could be read with a resolver input device:
power both windings from the reference wave, get sin from one CT, cos from the
other (this is assuming the pickup coils are in mechanical quadrature relative
to the pins (N*.1" +- .025") and you have symmetrical PP drive

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)