I worked on a big CNC lathe equipped with the GE Inductosyn scales and I
found a company who sells an adapter/interface for those...

I thought we might have to retrofit the lathe, but for now the existing
controls work... about as well as 1984 vintage controls can work... ;-)

http://vegacnc.com/html/vega2875501.htm

I believe that I obtained some pricing on those and they seemed reasonable.

The GE scales on the machine I worked on were very accurate.

Dave
(Dave911 on the  IRC)

On 4/11/2010 3:31 PM, sam sokolik wrote:
> there are actually 4 coils.  Each head has 2 shielded cables coming from
> the head - each cable has 4 conductors + shield.  At the controller  -
> the 2 coils on each cable are hooked together to form a center tapped
> setup.   (agian - if I have it right - they excite the 2 outside
> connections of the 2 center tapped hookups - then the center taps get
> summed together and shaped. this from trying to read the desciption on
> the schematic I scanned - plus you can see the coil hookups) :)
>
> thanks
> sam
>
> Jon Elson wrote:
>
>> Andy Pugh wrote:
>>

>>> Thinking about this some more, I think it is a quadrature LVDT.
>>> As we discussed on IRC it is a lot like an LVDT with multiple
>>> armatures. The thing is, if you only have that then you can't infer
>>> direction. By having two offset read-heads in quadrature you can tell