Here are some more pictures...  (top red thing is the read head)
http://electronicsam.com/images/KandT/conversion/accpinset1.jpg
http://electronicsam.com/images/KandT/conversion/accpinset.jpg

This is how I understand it as of today.... ;)

There are 4 coils - they are hooked up in a center tap config (see
schem) - 2 sets of 2 coils. An excitation signal (250khz square wave) is
sent to the outside connections of the 2 center tapped coils. The center
taps are summed together and turned into a square wave. That square wave
is shifted compared to the exciter signal depending on the position
relative to the .1 pin.

Now the way I think the controller did it was this - it had a 250khz
clock - they used this to count the shift between the exciter signal and
the summed square wave back from the center taps. this would give you
250khz/250hz - 1000 divisions within each pin.

thanks
sam