Hi
In small industrial city (where I am), I can count few CAD/CAM software
that in use.
 Here is list of CAM software - everything for mill and some cost, which
is very important.
1.      MasterCAM;              ($ 16 000)
2.      ProE manufacturing;
3.      CATIA;                   ($ 21 500)
4.      Unigraphic  UG;
5.      NCL.                       ($ (27 000 +7 250 +7250)= $41 500)
6.      SurfCAM;               ($ 16 000.)
7.      Gibbs;                      ($ 17 000)
8.      SmartCAM;
9.      EasyCAM;
10.     EdgeCAM;
11.     DelCAM;
12.     PowerMill;              ($ 30 000. !!!)
13.     PhinoCAM;           ($ 1 000.)
14.     Alibre;
15.     MadCAM              ($2 500.)
16.     Open Mind CAM; ($40 000.!!!!!!!!)
17.     BobCAM               ($ 3 700)

Many machine shops buy what they think is good CAD/CAM and than trying to
find who can use that CAM. It is hard to know all those CAM languages.
Good question is: is it good investment of time and money to learn one of
CAM that will or will not be useful at the next job?

I think machinist that want to grow professionally, need eventually buy
his own CAD/CAM and generate his own program, set machine and make a part.
That is usually call contract programmer/machinist. I think it be less
expensive for company to have contract programmer/machinist than full time
programmer and needs to buy their own CAD/CAM.
Many industries already develop independent committee to evaluate new and
existing products and compare them. As an example we can see many
committee that comparing new auto products, new electronics products and
especially new cell phones.
Independent committee that will compare CAM software will help machinist
to determine which CAM software is more suitable to his application.

aram