On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 05:11:19PM +0100, Andy Pugh wrote:

> Alternatively, you could do it all in G-code. (I think). Linking the
> tool-change pin to an MDI_COMMAND pin (see
> http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.3/html/gui_halui.html#sub:MDI ) should
> allow you to execute a G-code subroutine automatically on M6. You
> would need to ensure that the subroutine sets a digital output true to
> indicate that it has finished, and link that to the tool-changed pin.

This won't work...

> The only issue I see is that I am not totally sure that MDI_COMMAND
> pins are active in auto-mode, and whether you are in Auto-mode during
> toolchange.

Yep for this reason.

I admit that I don't quite see how these tool changers are supposed to
work.  When the stepper backs up against the stop, doesn't it stall
and lose position?  Is there some kind of feedback available?  When
you start up, how do you know what position it's in?

I have never seen a machine with a tool changer that operates like
this.

I think the only possible approach is to use an extra stepgen
component.  I guess maybe in velocity mode if the motor doesn't
maintain position?  But then how do you know how far it's moved?

Chris