Guys, I am just thinking, perhaps what I am trying to accomplish
(speed change via varidrive), could be best accomplished via an M100
command (shell script). Shell or perl scripts have access to hal,
right? I would write something like (in pseudocode)

$desired_speed = ARGV[0]
$delta = max( 5, $desired_speed/10 )

if spindle-running then
  sleep 1 # get it up to speed
else
  release-brake
  sleep 0.5 # wait for brake
  start-spindle
  sleep 1    # wait for spindle
fi

my $i = 0

if( $desired_speed <= 0 || $desired_speed > 4200 ) {
  ERROR( "BAD DESIRED SPEED";
}

if( $actual_speed < $desired_speed - $delta ) {
  start_speed_increase;
} elsif( $actual_speed > $desired_sped + $delta ) {
  start_speed_decrease;
} else {
  MSG( "You are at a good speed already within tolerance" );
}

$t0 = time;

while( time-$t0 < $max_time
         && !close_enough( $actual_speed, $desired_speed_delta ) ) {
  sleep 0.01
}

if( !close_enough( $actual_speed, $desired_speed_delta ) ) {
  ERROR( "FAILED TO REACH SPEED" );
}

# Reached speed, success!

And then, I could use the M100 comand top set speed via varidrive, and
the S command to just set the VFD output.