On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 18:11 -0400, Don Stanley wrote:
... snip
> Did you recognise it is a CNC converted mill that I
> wanted to move to EMC2?
>     Thanks again
>         Don

I still contend that encoder feedback on a stepper system has no proven
advantage, unless you have a very special stepper driver that drives the
stepper as a high pole count brushless DC servo with a very high count
encoder on the motor shaft. Encoders would only be useful for a stepper
machine with hand wheels, while being used as a manual machine with a
DRO. EMC2 can be configured to do it, but I consider it an academic
endeavor, since a plain stepper system would work just as well as is, or
a standard servo would work just as well, only faster.

I may be wrong, but this is my current understanding.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html