On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 09:36:57PM -0500, Daniel Goller wrote:
> What additional info would be required to know what I was asking about.
> Or is it more "Oh no dude, we know what you wanted, it's just so not
> possible, we just don't want to touch this one" :>

I agree it'd be nice if the machine could somehow avoid crashing,
but the problem is not straightforward.

My lathe has a horizontal turret but no tailstock.  Soft limits keep
the turret itself from striking the spindle nose.  If I mount the 3
jaw chuck, it would be possible to make a different soft limit
setting to keep the turret from striking the chuck.

But this really doesn't help much at all.

The turret can strike the workpiece, or the chuck jaws which stick
out different distances depending on how far they are open.

A tool (which sticks out from the turret in various directions) can
strike anything.  Even if the tool table would have per-tool soft
limits, on my lathe with an octagonal turret, adjacent tools can
easily hit stuff too.

Frankly I just don't see how what you ask is possible.  A simple
(but perhaps not easy) implementation such as different soft limits
per tool seems inadequate for lots of reasons.  An adequate
implementation (like modeling the whole turret and all its tools,
and the spindle nose and the chuck and the workpiece) and having EMC
monitor those shapes for interference with one another would probably
be so complex to use (development aside) that nobody would use it.

Like you hint at, I suspect everyone knows what you want to happen -
the machine stops and gives an error instead of crashing.  But what we
need instead is a specification that would allow this to be
implemented (and then someone able and interested in doing it).

Chris