Making it part of HAL / ClassicLadder may be most suitable.
As it is often operator error doing funny MDI things.
Using rapid jog buttons without paying attention.
Single blocking on "tight squeezes" and planning ahead going from CNGA to
DNGA to VNGA inserts and holders as needed had kept the big oopses limited
to mostly user error during setup.

Having a HAL component saving our behinds outside of programs might cover
the majority of problems.

A feed move into jaws just makes marks.
A rapid move gets the turret's alignment pins easily bent, requiring pulling
of the pins, repositioning the rotated turret to have tools on centerline
and finally rereaming the tapered holes for the new pins.

We have far more problems with rotated turrets than with "pushed"
tailstocks.

I guess I will see what kind of components there are to poke at in the
source, just to get an idea what might be possible.

Thanks,

Daniel

On Aug 31, 2010 12:30 PM, "Jon Elson" <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

Daniel Goller wrote:
> So what we can avoid is the turret hitting the chuck and the turret
> hitting...
One possible fix for this is to install a guard plate that wraps around
the tailstock
at places where it could be hit by the carriage or turret.  This would
be spring-loaded,
and have a microswitch connected to the E-stop chain.  If anything ever
hits the
plate hard enough to push it in, it E-stops the machine.  The springs
need to be stiff
enough that chips and coolant splashing won't trip the switch.  This
avoids the
problem of knowing where a movable part (tailstock) is positioned, and
solving
complex interference calculations.

This scheme won't work for the chuck, however.  I think a software
solution is
about the only one that can solve that problem.  it gets even trickier
as it matters
whether the jaws are extended for a big part or fully inside the chuck
body, and
also what is mounted where on the turret.

> Machines with a 2nd turret are then kept from the turrets crashing
> into each other by proper p...
Some of this could be implemented in ClassicLadder or Hal, since all
turret operations
are handled through them already.  Varying the clearance for one axis
based on position
of another is not something that is immediately available in EMC at the
interpreter level
(where soft limits are handled now, I think).  But, you could still
implement a HAL scheme
that watches current position and causes an E-stop when certain rules
are violated.  You'd
probably want to have PyVCP running  so it could provide specific
warning messages explaining
what happened.  It might be most efficient for a real exclusion area
program to be written as a C program
and implemented as a Hal component.  It would receive X and Z actual
machine position, and
feed into the E-stop logic.   Hmmm, than you'd need to rig an override
scheme to back out of the
exclusion zone when it crashed.  Clearly not as optimal as detecting it
before starting the program.

You could clearly set up a test system to detect these, too.  It could
either be a sim version of
EMC, or built into a preview program.

Jon