Am 26.09.2010 19:04, schrieb Kirk Wallace:
> I want to read encoders with a PDA, such as for a DRO, but I would
> prefer to use something like a PC parallel port. I suspect no PDA has a
> parallel port, so does anyone know of a good PDA that has GPIO or other
> hackable ports for digital I/O? It seems the Sharp Zaurus has good Linux
> support, has anyone hacked one of these for machine control? Thanks.

A PDA with full native Linux running is the openmoko freerunner. It can
run debian for example and has a native usb host interface for external
usb devices. When the case is opened there are also a few gpio pins and
an I2C/SPI Interface available. I never hacked my own one to add more
hardware but there are a few projects which did this with help of a few
gpio pins for this device. The hardware and software are completely
opensource and the schematics are available in the internet at [1] for
downloading. Maybe you can find out in the schematics if there are
enough interfaces for your purpose.

Ciao,
     Rainer

[1] http://downloads.openmoko.org/developer/schematics/GTA02/