Gentle persons:

The penultimate line from the article Przemek referenced in his original
post reads '"Any fool can go out and buy machinery," Kajiya says.'

My wife would agree.

On the other hand, knowing of some of this guy's contributions to
computer-generated graphics and reading about his time at Evans and
Sutherland followed by 15 years on the faculty at CalTech, I also would
not dismiss him out of hand. Swinging for a home run is definitely not
my style (I'm lucky if I can get on base by being hit by a pitch) but
you can't deny that sometimes it succeeds. People like him have a habit
of attracting others who are also high achievers.

What's really intriguing to me is his allusion to "some new physics as
well as new information technologies." Is he talking about machining or
measuring, I wonder, when he says "physics"?

Regards,
Kent