I have what appears to be a transformer with a reactor in series with
the secondary. The reactor is used to control the transformer output
current. I can imagine the reactor will act like a normal inductor and
impede the AC current, but the reactor has another coil on it. I assume
this coil is used for current control and works by pushing the core into
saturation. Is my assumption correct? Would the control signal would be
DC or some sort of phase controlled signal?

                 Control
                 Signal?
      Pri  Sec    |  |
-------D "        uuuu
       D "        ====
       D " C------nnnn----o
Mains  D " C              Output

(Just for fun -- I found this link while looking for reactor
information:
http://books.google.com/books?id=mtwDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA162#v=onepage&q&f=false

Short URL http://alturl.com/owob4 )

--