On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 13:22 +1100, Erik Christiansen wrote:
... snip
> Though I've only heard of them in whispers from prehistory, SX1 looks a
> lot like a magnetic amplifier.
... snip

Gene mentioned magnetic amplifiers. I'll need to check this out. Thanks.

> > One of my problems is that I can't watch the meters while welding. It
> > would be nice to have halscope as a voltage and current verses time
> > display. This way I can see what happened after the weld is done, or
> > maybe put a display in my helmet for a realtime display. While I am at
> > it, I could replace the programmer (does current and gas cycle timing)
> > with HAL too. But first, I need to get a good understanding of how the
> > welder works.
>
> I've started [2] a layout for a little AVR board (ATmega48) with 4
> protected analogue inputs [3], and a midget ER400TRS 433 MHz
> transceiver. Together with a second one with display, it's intended to
> monitor haystack core temperature.

This is like another idea I have had. I have large compost piles that I
use to process garden and kitchen waste. The piles can be controlled by
monitoring temperature and adding green material, water and turning the
pile. I shoot for 120 degrees or more to kill pathogens and seeds. More
communities are turning to composting for recycling organic waste, so it
seems to me, there should be a market for wireless temperature/humidity
sensors for managing piles.

For the welder helmet display, a voltage and amperage bar graph would be
the primary information. Although, I suspect any good operator would not
need the display. I also don't know if I would be able to watch the
puddle and display at the same time. I'll have to test this.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html