On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 07:40:25PM -0800, Kirk Wallace wrote:

> This is like another idea I have had. I have large compost piles that I
> use to process garden and kitchen waste. The piles can be controlled by
> monitoring temperature and adding green material, water and turning the
> pile. I shoot for 120 degrees or more to kill pathogens and seeds. More
> communities are turning to composting for recycling organic waste, so it
> seems to me, there should be a market for wireless temperature/humidity
> sensors for managing piles.

I see it now, a colour bar graph, ending with a flashing red "PILE CRITICAL"
display when it's about to catch fire. :-)

It's a good thing I'm not using any electrolytics in the temperature
probe, given that Arrhenius' equation shows component lifetime halving
for every 10 °C temperature increase.

Optimising the Carbon/Nitrogen ratio of the input is supposed to
maximise breakdown, I've read. (I had a simple program once, which
optimised mixes of kitchen scraps vs grass or leaves vs manure.)
But I just chuck in what I have.

> For the welder helmet display, a voltage and amperage bar graph would be
> the primary information. Although, I suspect any good operator would not
> need the display. I also don't know if I would be able to watch the
> puddle and display at the same time. I'll have to test this.

Adding limits, and flashing a small LED to attract attention to the
display when one is exceeded, might improve utility.

Erik

--
"Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb. "Necessity is the
mother of futile dodges" is much closer to the truth. The basis of growth of