I agree that the GPL and its various versions are confusing.

There are projects where the initial developers have taken it private after
it being GPLed.
And there are several open source projects that are under other licenses, so
the portions
that are licensed differently needed to be handled differently too.

On the next iteration of GPL, I hope they will address some of the
commercialization issues.

When I worked for a VOIP company, one of the Asterisk developers was an
employee.  It
did allow us to get bug fixes that were important to us moved up the food
chain, and get
really expert understanding on some of the esoteric issues.  Yes, the code
the developer
did, did go back into the GPLed source tree, and our boss considered it a
good investment,
both for insuring access to resources we needed, but also as a 'payback' to
the open source
community.

So if you do make a 'killer new widget' interface for EMC, consider putting
it back in the
code tree.  You will still be the expert.  Your customers get their concerns
addressed first,
and those that are not customers, well you need to spend some time to help
them, but don't
let it get in the way of paying customers or other needs. (Kind of a hard
hearted thought,
but it is reality.)

Just a few thoughts.