On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 12:41 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
> Kirk Wallace wrote:
> >
> > I'm not John, but from my study of encoder, it seems encoder is really a
> > software interface and decoder,
> The hal component encoder is a specific implementation of an encoder,
> equivalent in function
> to a general encoder counter module which might be partly implemented in
> hardware or software.
>
> But, there should be a canonical definition of what an encoder MUST
> provide for basic functionality
> with EMC, and what features might be optional.

I agree with this concept of encoder canonical interface. What are he
bare minimum needs of emc to be able to work with a given encoder
interface. Think about homing, in order to work properly it is in my
opinion dependent on the way the enable_index pin works (and much other
things of course).

Javier