On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 12:41 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
> Kirk Wallace wrote:
> >
> > I'm not John, but from my study of encoder, it seems encoder is really a
> > software interface and decoder,
> The hal component encoder is a specific implementation of an encoder,
> equivalent in function
> to a general encoder counter module which might be partly implemented in
> hardware or software.

I think the term encoder has been used rather loosely, but Wikipedia
states:
"
An encoder is a device, circuit, transducer, software program, algorithm
or person that converts information from one format or code to
another,...
"

To me, that means a rotary disk and sensor encodes position information
into a set of quadrature signals. Then, I consider that the quadrature
signals are "decoded" by the misnamed encoder component into counts
which are then stored and managed by a count/position register --
encoder => decoder => counter.

It's really just mice nuts, but I'm doing jury duty right now, so I may
me in a lawyer's frame of mind.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html