jeff,

You can try

$ which emc

in order to know which emc you are running.

Probably you are running the one that comes with the cd.

You can try to run directly the emc in your emc-dev directory

$ ~/emc-dev/....whatever..../emc

This works for me (I don't set any special environment like you
$ . /emc2-dev/scripts/emc-environment) .

No idea about the sudo issue.

Javier