Comments imbedded below:

On 02/01/2011 10:22 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 01, 2011 09:39:56 am Mark Wendt did opine:
>

>> Okay, here's some pics of the hold-down bed and the cutting head.
>>
>> First, an unadulterated pic of the hold-down bed:
>>
>>> http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5217/5407421436_d806332728_b.jpg
>>>

> I am having trouble visualizing exactly where the bamboo strip lays, and
> have the saw blades been removed while you do this work?.

Gene, that's the bare vacuum hold-down, going the length of the Z axis.
The bamboo strips are 3/8" wide, and about 1/4" thick.  Once it's all
draw filed and scraped in, I'll be placing a rubber-type gasket on top
of the hold down.  And yes, the blades are currently not on the
spindles.  Damn things are sharp, and they get in the way of my depth
gauge that I'm using to determine the flatness of the hold down.  When
the blades are mounted, if you look at the cutting head from the
direction the pictures are taken, the saw blades form a "V".  The saw
blades will track down the center of the strip, and cut a tapered
triangular section from the rectangular bamboo strip.

>> Next, with Gene's tape measure...  ;-):
>>
>>> http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5011/5407421544_6c86112d0d_b.jpg
>>>
> Sorry, I meant crossways so I could get an idea of the width of the surface
> you are cleaning up.  My bad for not saying so.  It also appears that you
> are pretty space constrained around this machine.

Sorry about that.  The hold down is 3/4" wide.
>> Quick and dirty view of the cutting head:
>>
>>> http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5293/5407421640_9da64c20c4_b.jpg
>>>
>> And last but not least, the entire cutting head:
>>
>>> http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5254/5407421742_99bee52187_b.jpg
>>>
> If the surface being cleaned up is that nominally 1" wide face that looks
> like it has a row of holes in its top surface, then the grinding idea is
> probably not feasible because its alu&  wider than the drill doctor wheel.
> That leaves the thought of mounting the file to the bottom of the carriage,
> and using the x motor to do a drawfile action if the file is sharp enough
> to cut with the light touch of just skimming the high spots.  If you had a
> nema 34 motor that could be swapped into the x drive temporarily, that
> might work.  Or it might be overkill because it would flex the frame with
> its power.

Yup, that's the surface that's being cleaned up.
> Two other thoughts come to mind, one is that since I can see adjustable
> legs that appear to be supporting the relatively light crossbars this track
> rides on, how solid is this floor?

Those legs aren't supporting the crossbars, the crossbars are supporting
the legs...  ;-)  Those legs actually mount to the bottom of the
aluminum extrusion so as to keep it from sagging from it's own weight,
and/or the pressure of the cutting.  I should mention, the machine
weighs about 700 lbs.
> Another thought might be to rig some rollers that would resemble a belt
> sander, with the belts backing platen being the lowest, active sanding area
> and wide enough to cover the track, but I'd say the construction time for
> that, effectively making a 'stroke' sander out of the carriage, would
> exceed the time it would take to finish scraping it with the file.
>
> Considering the relative lack of precision in the thickness of the backing
> media of whatever the belt might be made of, I don't see that as arriving
> at the desired final result.
>
> How are you 'marking' the high spots now?  And how much error now remains?

I've got the hold down bed marked off in 1" increments the entire
length.  I keep a log of the measurement at each 1" station.  Based on
the measurement at station "0", I determined using the depth gauge as
it's run down the length of the bed, how much I need to take off at each
station.  So, I draw file and scrape a bit in each area, run the depth
gauge back over the area I just scraped and note how close I've gotten
to the "0" measurement or whether I need to stop draw filing and
scraping.  If I can get to less than a half thou at each 1" station, I
happily stop draw filing and scraping there, and move on the the next
are that needs to be filed and scraped.  The areas that match the "0"
measurement, are marked on the side of the hold-down and on the base the
hold down is mounted to so I can see those areas from either the side,
when I'm measuring or above when I'm filing and scraping.

The sanding drum gave me the same kind of problems you mention above
with the sanding belt.