On 02/01/2011 11:06 AM, Ian W. Wright wrote:
> On 01/02/2011 15:55, Mark Wendt wrote:
>> Gene, that's the bare vacuum hold-down, going the length of the Z axis.
>> The bamboo strips are 3/8" wide, and about 1/4" thick.  Once it's all
>> draw filed and scraped in, I'll be placing a rubber-type gasket on top
>> of the hold down.  And yes, the blades are currently not on the
>
> Mark, if you are going to put a rubber gasket on top of the hold down
> surface, what is the point of trying to get it flat to the last tenth?
> I haven't seen anywhere selling rubber or other gaskets guaranteed to
> that accuracy and the rubber will flex anyway either pulling the work
> into the saw blade or deflecting it away slightly depending on the
> accuracy of the set of the blade.. I suspect you're worrying
> unnecessarily about the accuracy..
>
> Ian

Ian,

Not so much to the tenth, more to the half thou.  I'm really trying to
get it close to the nearest thousandth, and if it's within a half thou
of that measurement, it's close enough.  There's two blades cutting at
the same time on either side of the strip, so it shouldn't pull too much
to one side or the other.

Mark