2011/2/7 Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>:
> Edward Bernard wrote:
>> My very humble opinion is that the Beagle board (or equivalent) would be the
>> the
>> best solution. I like the idea of a processor dedicated to EMC2 that could be
>> built in to the machine control box with a remote GUI that could run on a
>> number
>> of various platforms (perhaps even a smartphone?). I believe Jon's intent
>> was to
>> have the GUI talk to the Beagle via Ethernet.  All we need now is for that
>> German fellow to complete the RT kernel!
>>
> Yes, still waiting on Torsten to finish his port.  I'm kind of worried
> at how long this is taking!  It is way more complicated than I thought.

If I understand correctly, what the Beagle board is, that would be a
_very_ nice and tempting solution for retrofits, where machine frame
already exists and one has to fit in existing space limits.

> But, you CAN use an Intel Atom board such as the D510MO.  It is about 4
> times the area and 8 X the volume of the Beagle, but might actually be a
> bit cheaper.  You can connect a PS/2 keyboard and mouse and a VGA
> screen, and it has built-in Ethernet, too.  Matt Shaver found a little
> car LCD/touchscreen, and worked up a modified kernel driver for the
> touchscreen.  This works VERY well with EMC's Touchy GUI.
>
> The D510MO can run off 12 V DC from a PicoPSU.  The LCD and my USC or
> UPC boards can all be run off this same 12 V supply, making for a very
> simple and convenient hookup.  So, while you CAN run a remote GUI, I'm
> not sure there is a real great reason to do so.

Yes, D510MO is very nice, if it is in stock in PC store. When I wanted
to get one, I was faced with the fact that they are out of stock even
for regional (3 Baltic states) wholesaler.

And I find it's size perfect - all the electronics will be compact and
closely together - I can fit also I/O boards in the
smalller-than-standard PC case.

2011/2/7 Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>:
> James Louis wrote:
>> If you don't want to "wait" you can always use the $80 Intel D510MO with an
>> $80 4Gb SATA flash drive.
> $80?  for **4** GB?  There HAS to be a better deal than that!!

I have 4GB CompactFlash card in SATA adapter in my waterjet machine -
it cost me ~5 USD for the adapter and ~ 20 USD for the card. I feel
that 4GB is little bit too small for Lucid, if one wants to be able to
compile custom EMC modules, because emc2 build-dep packages takes
close to 1 GB of disk space, but other packages are required as well
and I do not yet trust usage of memory cards for such a purpose.

So that is why for the welding robot I purchased Kingston 30GB SSD
drive for 80 EUR. And I am surprised - the boot-up is amazingly fast -
it does not even display the dark screen with "ubuntu" in light
letters and 5 dots under it.

Viesturs