On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Kent A. Reed wrote:

> Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 10:51:18 -0500
> From: Kent A. Reed <knbr...@erols.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] EMC2 and Ethernet [AT5NM10-I]
>
> On 2/7/2011 6:42 PM, Steve Blackmore wrote:

>>> That also appears to have the P-port as a socket rather than a header.
>>> However, I wonder if it has the same chipset etc? If not, then the
>>> latency performance  might not be the same.
>> Intel NM10 chipset. Integrated Intel Graphics, Atom D525.
>>
>> Same chipset AFAIK?
>>
>> Steve Blackmore
>> --
>>
> Gentle persons:
>
> Since I had one on hand, I just ran the latency test overnight on an
> AT5NM10-I board, 2GB RAM, 20GB SSD, onboard graphics, keyboard/mouse
> connected to PS2 ports, a fully patched EMC2.4.6, kernel
> 2.4.6-32-122-rtai, default bios settings.
>
> dmesg reports the cpu is an Intel Atom D510 (not D525).
>
> dmesg reports the parallel port is in EPP mode at 0x378. (Truth in
> advertising: I haven't hooked up to a CNC controller yet so I have no
> way of knowing if there are any slips "twixt the fork and the lip" as my
> grandmother liked to say.)
>
> I simultaneously ran several copies of glxgears, firefox, vlc movie
> player, and took directory listings from attached usb hard drives.
>
> The relevant test numbers are:
>
> 1ms thread:  max interval 1009084 / max jitter 12603
> 25us thread: max interval 29248     / max jitter 14321
>
> This appears to me to be an acceptable motherboard for EMC2 use, even
> for software generation of stepper timing.
>
> Regards,
> Kent
>

> PS - I'll post these numbers to the wiki in a while.

Could you try disabling Hyperthreading (a bios setup option) and setting the
isolcpus=1 grub option, then running the latency test again?

I think all the really good results from the Atom MBs have been from systems
that have the Hyperthreading off and the isolcpus option

Heres a link that shows the improvement on a Atom 330:

http://www.anderswallin.net/2010/11/emc2-upgrade/

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics