On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 06:58 -0600, Chris Radek wrote:
... snip
> No, it doesn't gouge the part outline.  It moves along the path on the
> specified side.  Every adjacent pair of moves (whether line or arc)
> cause a concave or convex corner.  If the corner is concave, it
> calculates a new corner point that puts the tool inside and tangent to
> both.  If it is convex, it makes an arc around the corner.

(Sorry for being blunt, but this best conveys how I feel)
I prefer to code the part surface path, which ultimately, is the only
thing that  matters. If the surface can not be machined, the surface
needs to be fixed or the process changed. EMC2 should not be expected to
compensate for laziness or lack of understanding. I don't think it is
worth bloating EMC2 for the sake of convenience, that's what Windows
(xconfig?) is for. What good is something that conveniently doesn't
work?

On the other hand, I don't mind making EMC2 more convenient, but it
should not affect the core function. If a gouge alarm triggers, it might
be better to have a widget that leaves EMC2, invokes a g-code editor,
then suggests code that fixes the error, offers to correct the code,
then saves the g-code file and reloads the file in EMC2.

Is there a parameter that can be set to put the strict gouging alarm
back in?
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html