Gentlemen,

using a "phase pusher" capacitor is a cheap and common workaround when a
three phase supply isn't available. I have used this with a lathe for
some time, since a machine like this doesn't need its full power most of
the time and it always starts idling without load.

Ordinary three phase current runs 120 + 120 + 120 degrees  to  make a
full revolution. If you have only two, this makes it 180 + 180 and won't
run because there is no direction information in it.

A capacitor connected to one leg of the two-phase system produces a 90
degree phase shift relative to this lead. Using this as a mock three
phase system, you will have 180 + 90 +90 degrees for a revolution
including a direction information, depending to which leg you connected
the capacitor. The distribution is uneven which is the reason for
reduced power, but better than nothing. Don't confuse this with a
starter capacitor used to supply a direction information to a generic
two phase motor! Those are for short time use with small motors only and
blow their tops when used continously (because of faulty starter relay
or so).

Of course, the size of the capacitor depends on the amount of current it
has to supply to the third leg. Having learned from practice, I used at
least 70 microfarads per kW to achieve about half the power the motor
can deliver on a real three phase system. More capacity doesn't
contribute much. The capacitors need to have a voltage rating of mains
voltage times sqrt of 2. The cheapest way to get them ( I was a student
then) was cannibalizing the current compensation capacitors from old
flourescent lamps at the junk yard. I needed about a dozen of them, but
at zero expense. Watch for  belly shaped tops, there is plenty of
stinking smoke compressed by the factory in these aluminum cans!

Perter Blodow