Thanks for the suggestions!
Running the latency test program seemed to top out around 15us which I
was quite pleased with but never ran the test more than 10 min or so.
 I have bios power management and screen saver disabled.  Just read
about the SMI thing in the wiki and I would like to do some testing I
guess but it said it could damage the CPU so I gotta ask, has there
been any reports from the EMC community of damaged motherboards caused
by disabling this?  How about success stories?
I came up empty searching for "monitor mode-set" what is that?
Thanks much,
Joel Jacobs