On 06/01/2011 07:36 PM, emc-users-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> The resistor I did use when I was building the interface for my mills
> spindle, because I read someplace that a dead short could result in field
> demagnetization under the right conditions.  There I used a 20 ohm 20 watt
> resistor, which seems to be major overkill as I can just barely detect that
> heat after about 20 starts&  stops in as many seconds.  There, the stop
> down to about 30 rpm is maybe 1/2 second, and another half second has it
> stopped.  Grabbing the spindle and turning it by hand is like stirring cold
> karo syrup.
*It seemed counter-intuitive to me, but from reading stepper motor
controller data sheets I've found that if you short out a winding, the
current takes longer to decay than if you put a resistor across it, and
make it pump energy into a higher voltage. I don't know how this applies
to the changing fields in a spinning universal motor, though.*