Ed,

I am not certain I am interpreting your comment "The firmware doesn't apply
acceleration limiting, which I regard as a major limitation on performance
and dependability"  correctly, but if you mean that the firmware doesn't do
acceleration at all (it is either full speed or not moving), that is a
limitation of the Makerbot firmware. Pretty much everyone else in the RepRap
world have moved on to one of two Acceleration-capable firmwares, either
Triffid_Hunter's Teacup or Kliment's Sprinter.

Many people have used EMC to drive their RepRaps, it certainly is possible.
Personally I use EMC for my router, but I think it is a terrible idea for a
Printer. I personally view the RepRap as an appliance, not a shop tool (at
least that is my goal), so I strongly favor the RepRap's traditional
integrated MCU based driver. The goal is to have the printer almost as easy
to use as your 2d printer. We are not quite there yet, but I expect that the
usability will take a big jump forward in a couple months when the next gen
electronics we are working on comes out.

Mike