I've been looking at those routers. Glad to hear they're a good piece of kit.

I know nothing about how the internal speed control works on the router, but
assuming you could simply feed a variable voltage or resistance in there, then
what you suggest would work fine. You could do it cheaper if you roll
everything yourself, but and Arduino makes it simple.

-Pete