On Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:15:27 AM Edward Bernard did opine:

> I have an Hitachi M12VC
> http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=HITACHI+ROUTER&oe=utf-8&rls=org
> .mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4659
> 105001687453144&sa=X&ei=_loBTsq9EIXl0QG9q5XQDg&ved=0CDwQ8gIwAA router
> I'm very pleased with. It's very quiet, light, and inexpensive  and
> best of all has a closed loop speed control that maintains torque  all
> through its range. I have thought about replacing the potentiometer
> with an interface to EMC2 and would love to hear any ideas to
> accomplish  this. My first thought was to use an Arduino board to
> accept a PWM  signal and control a digital pot. Any better (simpler)
> ideas?

I have one of those, a truly outstanding piece of gear.  As for a
controller interface, I am using a PMDX-106, not on the M12VC, but the
hookup to the pot should be very similar to the hookup to the OEM speed
controller in my expanded micromill.  That works very well from creeping
along at 30 rpm from a 1% duty cycle of EMC's PWM generator on up to 2500
which is 99% duty on the pwm signal, and has excellent torque
characteristics even at creep speeds.

Cheers, gene
'Tis the dream of each programmer,
Before his life is done,