Viesturs Lācis wrote:
> 2011/7/20 Viesturs Lācis <viesturs.la...@gmail.com>:
>> BTW their first page mentions only windows and macs, but I hope that
>> they are not that evil.
>
> Oh, no, they are evil! No Linux :((
> I was offered to download a .msi file, which is some windows installer file.
>
> But I still have that "remote desktop" tool to try out.

You may already know this. If so, maybe it can help someone else. If you
do use VNC or another remote connection protocol be sure it is secure,
or tunnel the connections through ssh. Use on-standard ports for any
Internet connections to avoid most of the break-in attempts. There are
quite a few hits on our firewall trying VNC ports.

If you use ssh, there are some things you can do to make it more secure.
Disable root login, use only public key authentication, set a strong
password for the user logging in (so it's harder to sudo to do something
bad), set a strong root password (not usually done in Ubuntu), set the
allowusers parameter in sshd_config, and use denyhosts. denyhosts is a
separate program that blocks ip addresses after a certain number of
unsuccessful ssh login attempts.

Karl