make a bit-copy of your harddrive with 'partimage' first and expand the
image onto a new harddrive, they are cheap enough.
So you have the original and a copy to play with.

I just did it for a customer with a Beckhoff 'doze NT system with a small
problem. Works like a dream.
When the machine is idle for half an hour I quickly plug the play-drive in
and off we go.

j.