On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 17:50:31 -0400, you wrote:

>Greetings all;
>
>My xylotex went pop,pop,pop when I hit the keyboard for a x move about 2
>hours ago.  Also the odor of burnt parts was in the air.
>
>So, since this will be the 3rd xylotex to expire on me, I am inclined to
>look elsewhere for the next set of drivers.

Hi Gene

An all too common occurrence with Xylotex drives! Exceed 30V at your
peril, reach 35V and they always go pop.

>Looking at the Gecko G540, which isn't that much bigger, but would allow me
>to raise the motor voltage about 20 volts above what I have now.  Its a
>package that puts 4 each 50 volt, 3.5 amp, 10 microstep G250's in an easily
>mountable package.  I see I can get it for $242 + ship, which is more than
>the xylotex.
>
>What has been the general experience of this group with the G540?

I've no personal experience of them but heard no complaints on the Mach
group or elsewhere. Even if you manage to blow one up, send it back
Geckodrive will fix it for free ;)

Steve Blackmore