On Monday, August 01, 2011 08:11:51 AM Mark Wendt did opine:

> On 08/01/2011 02:36 AM, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > On 01.08.11 00:47, gene heskett wrote:
> >> On Monday, August 01, 2011 12:45:31 AM Kyle Kerr did opine:
> >>
> >> And why has it taken me 8 or 9 years to hear that?  Thank you very
> >> much.
> >
> > Gene, I'll +1 that. :-)
> >
> > Despite preferring to use less effort than even ctrl+alt+t, with four
> > xterms being automatically started for me by gnome.
> >
> > My ~/.gnomerc is:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > ~/bin/xterms&     # A script which starts 4 xterms, tiled to please.
> >
> >                           ----------------------
> >
> > For just one, we could replace the xterms line with these:
> >
> > col='-fg yellow -bg darkslategrey -cr red'         # Colours
> > f='-fn 10x20'                                      # 3 mm fontsize
> > w=100                                              # Width
> > l=50                                               # Length
> >
> > /usr/bin/xterm $col $f $scroll -geometry ${w}x${l}+0+80&
> >
> >                           ----------------------
> >
> > But if the additional script is used, it can also open mutt in an
> > xterm in the top right corner, with customised double-click character
> > class behaviour, so all of a URL is picked up by the mouse. (The left
> > hand terminal is made to pick up "Full pathnames, IPs, email
> > addresses, simple URLs, lhs or rhs of =", which suits me better for
> > general use. A third xterm for my on-line manual has other settings
> > again, to better pick up that kind of material.[1])
> >
> > If a computer doesn't have at least one xterm open at all times, then
> > I'm at a loss to use it.
> >
> > Erik
> >
> > [1] Displayed/updated daily, using vim. Last night I added folding, so
> >
> >      that the 20,200 lines now display as 150 section headings, like a
> >      TOC. That shows I could slightly tidy up what has accumulated
> >      over a couple of decades.
>
> I'm not a GUI guy meself, but there's a nifty way of having terminals
> pop up when you log in.  Open as many terminals as you usually use (or
> start out with in a session - I know when I get programming I can have a
> ton of them open), then open System -> Preferences -> Startup
> Applications.  Select the "Options" tab and click on the radio box
> labeled "Automatically remember running applications when logging out".
> Then close, then log out, then log back in.  You should have your
> terminals up and running when you log back in.
>
> Mark

That is something else that got 'moved' with the 10.04 install.  One used
to be able to 'edit' an icon.  But what the heck use is an icon that says
its my-mill, that will not at least run "emc -l"?

Cheers, gene
I'm having a tax-deductible experience!  I need an energy crunch!!