>snippet of program code that checks every declared axis not so marked.

the homing exemption is included in the trajectory planner initialization and
is either true or not true as far as i can tell - nothing about some joints
having homes and others not.  the problem is that the diabolical homing
mechanism starts at zero, but does not end if there is a vacant element of the
sequence.  the fix i found to work is the home is not mandatory at all, but
what i really want is home is not mandatory for joints without a well defined
home position.  for instance, there is no c axis (spindle) declared, but
spindle homing is not required.

as for stepper driving, do you know if the direction signal is continuous from
period to period of the base cycle of the parport controller?  i'm thinking i
should put a scope on the dir signal line to see.  the dirsetup and dirhold
values in the hal ini are huge compared to the steplen and stepspace.  what's
in nS and what's in base periods?  the conf wizard doesnt inform.  and i seem
to recall reading about tuning where both steplen/space and dirsetup/hold were
set as base period multiples in the example.

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?TweakingSoftwareStepGeneration, section
1.4.  so the units used for step and dir in the hal ini are not jiving well.

~