Steve,
of course, you can't very well connect a 120 V transformer to 240 volts
without expecting  a minor catastrophy (especially considering the power
class we are talking about). In the UK, they have generally a nominal
240 volts mains supply (don't know about the tolerances). "On the
continent", the better part of europe ;-), we used to have 220 volts +/-
5%, that is, from 200 to 240 volts. Since about 2000, we now have 220
volts +10 / -5% which means anything from 200 to 245 volts. In order to
make the most profit of the network, suppliers tend to deliver 237 to
240 volts constantly. So, in effect we are on the same feet now as the
British. One wire is neutral (center point of the general three phase
supply) and grounded in every transformer station down to the last
substation and in every house. In fact, the cable to our house has four
70 sq. mm "wires", and Neutral and PE are first separated in my incoming
50 A fuse box, right before the counter.

No problem exchanging electric equipment between Germany and England.

Peter