I'm trying to get my Shizuoka going after being idle during the Summer.
Some of the parts had "fallen" off. So, in putting it back together I
attended to an issue that bothered me from before. The SPI DAC I use to
feed the 0-10 V input to the spindle VFD wanders a bit and is enough to
notice the speed change at the spindle. I suspect the problem is that
the VFD and DAC have different supplies and grounds. I decided to try a
different approach and rigged up an opto-isolator which switches the 10V
speed supply to the 0-10V input. I feed the transmit side of the
opto-isolator with a PWM signal. I get much less wander, but after
adjusting the scale, I realized only the first 10% of the PWM range is
used to get 0 to 100% RPM (10V). I would like to have 100% pwm
correspond to 100% RPM or 10V input. I tried various resistors to limit
the input current or to pull the input down, but I still get the same
problem.

Has anyone setup a PWM input to a VFD that utilizes the full PWM range?
If so, please let me know how it can be done. There is a 20mA input
also, but I don't know how it is supposed to work. I'll check the
manual, but hints would be appreciated. Otherwise, I my need to resort
to a digital potentiometer. Thanks for any help.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html