On 9/29/2011 9:24 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> I'm trying to get my Shizuoka going after being idle during the Summer.
> Some of the parts had "fallen" off. So, in putting it back together I
> attended to an issue that bothered me from before. The SPI DAC I use to
> feed the 0-10 V input to the spindle VFD wanders a bit and is enough to
> notice the speed change at the spindle. I suspect the problem is that
> the VFD and DAC have different supplies and grounds. I decided to try a
> different approach and rigged up an opto-isolator which switches the 10V
> speed supply to the 0-10V input. I feed the transmit side of the
> opto-isolator with a PWM signal. I get much less wander, but after
> adjusting the scale, I realized only the first 10% of the PWM range is
> used to get 0 to 100% RPM (10V). I would like to have 100% pwm
> correspond to 100% RPM or 10V input. I tried various resistors to limit
> the input current or to pull the input down, but I still get the same
> problem.
>
> Has anyone setup a PWM input to a VFD that utilizes the full PWM range?
> If so, please let me know how it can be done. There is a 20mA input
> also, but I don't know how it is supposed to work. I'll check the
> manual, but hints would be appreciated. Otherwise, I my need to resort
> to a digital potentiometer. Thanks for any help.

0-20 ma or 4-20 ma inputs are usually easy to setup in the drive.  It is
just a variation of an analog input.  There is usually some provisions
for scaling
the analog inputs to the speed command, ie 4-20ma = 0-120 hz.

The idea behind the 4-20 ma signal is that a wire break can be detected
since 0 ma is an illegal value.

There are converters commercially available to convert between 0-10
volts and 0-20 or 4-20 ma signals.

I'm sure there are ways to do the conversion with an op amp and a few
resistors also - setup a voltage controlled current regulator.

If you have an unused analog out available on your servo board, it
should not be difficult to setup.

Dave