On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 10:17 +0100, andy pugh wrote:
... snip
> I am not clear what you have here. Are you connecting the Opto output
> direct to the speed control pin? Or do you have an RC network that you
> haven't mentioned?

I have a direct connection. See attachment. I figured the VFD has it's
own input filter.

> Is the VFD designed for PWM input?

No, the manual only shows a potentiometer on the analog input.

> If not you may be using an input
> filter cap as a PWM integrator. (and a series resistor on the input
> might stretch the range for you, probably at the expense of
> linearity).

An input series resistor seemed to lower the range as if there were
already an internal resistor to common, forming a voltage divider.

> I designed a dual-opto push-pull circuit for PWM to (isolated) voltage
> but as I have never tried to use it yet I am reluctant to show it
> again.

The only reason I was thinking about a push-pull (half bridge) is
because it would incorporate the common terminal.

I haven't connected my oscilloscope to the VFD terminals yet, this may
shed some light on how the input works. I suspect for an SCR speed
controller, the input provides a voltage level for triggering the SCR,
but for a VFD it may be a PLL or "Maybe it's something really cool that
I don't even know about" (tree of trust).

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html