We are using a gantry machine (Heiz s720 - a German Mill), with a
'roundino'. This is a lathe chuck with a stepper motor and reduction
gear, mounted with its axis of rotation vertical (parallel to 'z').

The mill is used to make prototypes of electrical parts, often with a
round body - hence the rotatable chuck to avoid backlash 'steps' in circles.

Everything works fine, except the 'axis' display which tries to depict
the tool twisting as the chuck turns.

The axes are x,y,z & a.
Now I think that the fourth axis should logically be called 'b', but emc
won't accept this parameter, it refuses to start.

We are running AXIS 2.2.5, installed from the Ubuntu 6.06 live cd. I
cannot find a version for EMC itself - how can I determine the EMC version ?

We are quite OK with running the machine - all here are familiar with
programming languages, so writing g-code is no problem [ just ugly :-) ]

It would be nice to have axis display something more meaningful, or to
suppress the visual movement due to the fourth axis.

Has anyone any suggestions?

We are going to update to the latest version (2.4.6 ?) soon, in case
that helps.

Many thanks,

Robert von Knobloch