Hello Dave,
the RC protocol is very prinitive and thus very flexible. In order to
make more channels possible I use a variable time slot which adds up by
ten variable pulses (correctly, pulse pauses from 1 to 2 ms) which
contain the channel informations plus a 10 ms sync pulse (can be reduced
to 6 or 8 ms without problems). So, the length of the whole telegram
varies from 20 ms (all ten channels at lower limit) to  30 ms (all
channels up).  Encoder and decoder use the same IC, a decimal CMOS
counter. Very simple circuits for both sides. The sync pause is detected
by a simple RC combination, resetting the decimal counter.

Peter