On Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:14:41 PM yann jautard did opine:

> Le 24/12/2011 15:04, gene heskett a écrit :
> > On Saturday, December 24, 2011 09:00:31 AM Mark Wendt (Contractor) did
> >
> > opine:

> >> Gene,
> >>
> >> What about good old vi, or gedit on the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
> >> files, changing the uid and gid to what ever you need, then doing a
> >> chown -R gene:gene on /home/gene
> >>
> >> No need to reinstall.  Just a little careful editing is all you need.
> >>
> >> Mark
> >
> > I did something like that, including the chown -R back on 8.04 and had
> > to reinstall.  Among other things, sudo quit working so I couldn't
> > fix the rest of the perms problems that created.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> yeah sudo quit working due to permission problems during the operation.
>
> This is why you need to create a root password first, and login as root
> to make the user modification.
>
> sudo password root
>
> then you log off the graphical interface
>
> switch to terminal (ctrl-F1)
>
> login as root
>
> make the modifications

> user, and that's all.

That is, IIRC, what I did to an older 6.06 LTS install.  Things worked
passably well, but somehow the root passwords presence messed up sudo, it
wouldn't take either pw, so that I had to constantly su - to do things that
scripts use su for.  So I tried to remove the root pw, then that blew
everything up and I had to re-install.

AFAIAC, the buntu's do that to be a PITA, thinking it might add to the many
layers of security.  Perhaps it does, to an ex winders user, but I am used
to machinery that only I have access to, and which do exactly as I tell
them too, even if its wrong. :)

Cheers, Gene
Children begin by loving their parents.  After a time they judge them.
Rarely,
if ever, do they forgive them.
- Oscar Wilde