On Saturday, December 24, 2011 01:18:41 PM Mark Wendt (Contractor) did
opine:

[and a lengthy argument snipped]
> > I do.  But that is so all encompassing on pclos, that all paths then
> > have to be cd'd to from the /root account.  Even when using it in a
> > script, a cd to do something in a subdir must be semicolon separated
> > else the effect of the cd expires at the end of the current line of
> > the script, so the operative work command must be "cd wherever;exec
> > the subscript" in construction.  You cannot cd somewhere, and expect
> > that cd to be effective for the next line of the script, it is not.
> > One can script around it, but it took me a half an hour to grasp the
> > concept.  It will be interesting to see if centos has a similar
> > restriction.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Or just run the script with the entire path:
> /run/this/script/in/this/directory/script

Except in this instance, the complete line of the script is now:
su - amanda -c "normal two part;command line"  as its needed for other
stuff the script calls to have a valid $PWD environment when it runs.

There are no doubt other equally effective methods that one could
incorporate into a simple script that I wrote precisely because remembering
all the options to ./configure when building amanda is asking the old mans
brain for a bit much, and it removed the fat fingered typu's from the error
column as an added side benefit.  ;-)

Since I play the part of the canary in the coal mine for amanda
development, knowing I didn't fat finger a build option gives me a lot more
confidence that if it upchucks, I have truly found a problem, report it.

But this is straying so far off topic I can't see it from here.  ;-)

I have found a method that while a bit cumbersome, does work, and that is
what counts when you press the return key.

Now, I've been contemplating the purchase of a bigger lathe, one that I can
cnc, and I am torn between taking my chances on ebay for an old Atlas, or a
new grizzly 11x26, the real simple one that is currently in the catalog at
$1550.  It comes with a decent set of chucks & tools, and either way, I'd
still have to find or make a reversible spindle drive to cnc it.  I expect,
since that has a 1 hp 1725 rpm motor, that a couple relays or maybe 3 (one
to suicide brake the motor & speed up the reversal process), that the rest
of cnc'ing it is mostly stuff I can make on my mill and some stepper motors
that I already have in 262 and 425 oz/in persuasions.  Sure, I _could_ do
the 7x10, but that thing has so much rubber in its toolpost I should sell
it to firestone.  The spindle and the tailstock have never aligned right
enough to do any great amount of deep boring anyway despite many attempts
to adjust it, they simply are not on a common centerline and cannot be
adjusted to be.

Are there any old Atlases left that don't have a .025" swayback in the ways
today?

Merry Christmas all.

Cheers, Gene
Failure is more frequently from want of energy than want of capital.