Le 24/12/2011 15:04, gene heskett a écrit :
> On Saturday, December 24, 2011 09:00:31 AM Mark Wendt (Contractor) did
> opine:
>
>> On 12/23/2011 2:47 PM, gene heskett wrote:
>>> I sounded like a good idea, but:
>>> [gene@coyote ~]$ ssh shop
>>> gene@shop's password:
>>> Linux shop 2.6.32-122-rtai #rtai SMP Tue Jul 27 12:44:07 CDT 2010 i686
>>> GNU/Linux
>>> Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
>>>
>>> Welcome to Ubuntu!
>>>
>>>    * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/
>>>
>>> 11 packages can be updated.
>>> 6 updates are security updates.
>>>
>>> Last login: Thu Dec 22 09:38:52 2011 from coyote.coyote.den
>>> gene@shop:~$ sudo useradd -u 500 gene
>>> [sudo] password for gene:
>>> useradd: user 'gene' already exists
>>>
>>> So there isn't an obvious way to make the user numbers match between
>>> the *buntu's and the rest of the world.
>>>
>>> The last time I tried that, I wound up re-installing to fix it.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Gene
>> Gene,
>>
>> What about good old vi, or gedit on the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
>> files, changing the uid and gid to what ever you need, then doing a
>> chown -R gene:gene on /home/gene
>>
>> No need to reinstall.  Just a little careful editing is all you need.
>>
>> Mark
> I did something like that, including the chown -R back on 8.04 and had to
> reinstall.  Among other things, sudo quit working so I couldn't fix the
> rest of the perms problems that created.
>
> Cheers, Gene

yeah sudo quit working due to permission problems during the operation.

This is why you need to create a root password first, and login as root
to make the user modification.

sudo password root

then you log off the graphical interface

switch to terminal (ctrl-F1)

login as root

make the modifications

user, and that's all.