On 12 January 2012 07:22, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

> Apparently my freebie copy of eagle has timed out, the screen it opens
> is about 75% transparent and extremely bleached out, rendering it unusable.

Have you tried DesignSpark under Wine?
Though gEDA might be a better bet, being native Linux. (I have never tried it)

> rant mode off I guess, I am resigned to tape, drafting mylar, photo-resist
> & very dangerous chemistry if I want to design pcb boards

No help on the chemistry, but your mill could hold a resist pen and draw tracks
(HPGL to G-code would be necessary, I imagine it exists) or try toner-transfer.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-and-Easy-Toner-Transfer-for-PCB-Making/

--
atp
The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply, wrong.