On Thursday, January 12, 2012 03:23:23 PM andy pugh did opine:

> On 12 January 2012 17:55, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > That still needs the chemistry.  Lets just say that disposing of about
> > 3 gallons of well spent ferric chloride, diluted with at least 1000
> > gallons of water, was sufficient to put a new medium sized cities
> > sewage plant that had just been brought online a week before, into
> > shutdown as the bronze impellers and housings of the pumps were
> > destroyed.
>
> Are you sure that wasn't coincidence? I would be astonished if there
> were enough chloride ions left, and they spent enough time in the
> pumps, to do that damage.

Bronze impellors and housings, bought specifically as the longest lasting
versions.  Replaced at the with about $50k of identical parts, some of
which I understand I/R had to put the machining dept on a 2 shift basis to
get it done in a timely basis.

I can well imaging that with decent maintenance of the seals and bearings,
say every 5 years or so, I could expect to walking into the place and find
them still running today, 50+ years later.

I have intimate knowledge of the 10-15-20 horsepower versions of that
Ingersol-Rand pump, and can lay my hands on at least 3 of the 10HP models
in about 10 minutes, none of them younger than about 1956 manufacture.

They are commonly used as coolant pumps in water cooled transmitters.  In
that service, where the water is generally both 150F hot and subjected to a
live, full time de-ionizer treatment, seals can last 15 years of 20/7/365
service, the last 6 or 7 years being 24/7 because it enhanced the
dependability of the whole system to just feed it old John Wayne movies in
the middle of the night.

Seals generally fail gracefully, taking weeks for the first sign of
dampness to turn into enough of a dribble to actually make a trail across
the floor to the drain.  By then, the motors humm has probably developed a
slight roughness because I believe its the bearings that fail & that knocks
out the seal.

If I have all the tools handy, I can get some help to throw it up on the
bench, and from there its maybe 1.5 hours to rebuild it unless I find a
shaky bearing too.  Good bearings, well mounted, make the seals last
virtually forever.

Not having the correct bearing pullers/drivers, I usually take the armature
and end bells to a local motor shop.  Sloppy end bells can wipe out a new
bearing in 6 months so I make sure they check them well, or that I'm aware
of it so I can seat them on some locktite.

Cheers, Gene
Do your otters do the shimmy?
Do they like to shake their tails?
Do your wombats sleep in tophats?