On Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:43:08 PM andy pugh did opine:

> On 12 January 2012 07:22, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
[...]
> Have you tried DesignSpark under Wine?
> Though gEDA might be a better bet, being native Linux. (I have never
> tried it)

I have looked at gEDA and it shows promise, but it needs to grow some std
method of sizing the parts to an agreed upon std measurement method.  When
the parts library is 100% contributor generated, no two parts seem to be
drawn to the same scale or orientation.

> > rant mode off I guess, I am resigned to tape, drafting mylar,
> > photo-resist & very dangerous chemistry if I want to design pcb
> > boards
>
> No help on the chemistry, but your mill could hold a resist pen and draw
> tracks (HPGL to G-code would be necessary, I imagine it exists) or try
> toner-transfer.
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-and-Easy-Toner-Transfer-for-PCB-M
> aking/

That still needs the chemistry.  Lets just say that disposing of about 3
gallons of well spent ferric chloride, diluted with at least 1000 gallons
of water, was sufficient to put a new medium sized cities sewage plant that
had just been brought online a week before, into shutdown as the bronze
impellers and housings of the pumps were destroyed.  A mistake I will never
make again by never using the stuff again.  In that case it was shaddup
time.  Lesson learned even if it was 50+ years back up the logs.  One of
those "now it can be told" stories I guess. :(

Cheers, Gene
I never failed to convince an audience that the best thing they
could do was to go away.