On Friday, January 13, 2012 03:00:21 PM Cathrine Hribar did opine:

> Hi Gene:
>
> Tnx for the info on ur steppers.
>
> I have 8 wire steppers and have wired them series.  From what you said
> about your steppers, and controller, you wired in parallel, true?
>
> My controller is, like yours, 2.8 amp limit. As I think about it, if the
> steppers are wired in series, like I wired mine, they would require
> twice as much current to give the most torque, right?.

No Bill, wired in series, that is the current that flows through both coils
so you get 2x the magnetic field.

Wired in parallel, it would need twice the current, because it would be
split between the 2 coils, each getting half the set current then, or 1.4
amps.  OTOH, the parallel wiring would, at a given supply voltage, be able
to run the motor nearly twice as fast at that same supply voltage, since
you would then have the full voltage across each coil.  You would need a
slightly bigger supply in terms of amps, and a driver you could turn up to
5.6 amps in order to get the best torque that speed.  On The Third Hand,
its likely that the motor would run under the typical load, faster when
wired parallel, but a little drag will stall it easier too.

The torque output would be lower but flatter, controlled by the available
current, with the fade knee starting at the applied voltage vs torque
intersection on the graph.

It is also something I haven't experimented with a lot since my Z axis was
made to drive a drill bit, I can put 150 lbs of push on a stubborn bit
wired in series at 5"/min feed rates with low (200 or so) spindle rpms
cutting a decent sized continuous string out of the hole.

> I use to think I understood what I was doing, but I find with age
> understanding don't always increase.

Its painfully obvious to me at my years too Bill, it goes with the number
of calendars thrown out on our watches.  77 so far for me.

Thanks Bill.

Cheers, Gene
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish,
and he'll invite himself over for dinner.
                -- Calvin Keegan