Am 21.01.2012 00:22, schrieb gene heskett:
> Greetings all;
>
> I have thrown a schematic together, but before I commit to the connector
> for the cable, which will need at least 5 conductors, GND, Vcc5, A, B, Z
> signals and needs to be fairly compact, I am drawn to the pcb mounted
> version of the RJ-11 connector.  But sitting here, I realized that although
> it is supposed to be a 6 pin connector, I have never seen one with more
> than 4 positions populated, nor have I seen The matching 6 wire cable. I
> considered the RJ-45 too, but have not seen any pcb mount jacks in my neck
> of these woods.  A db9 is just plain too darned big unless the backshell is
> thrown in the corner.

If you don't need too much current over the cable than RJ45 is a good
connector. The pcb mounted connector should be available at most
electronic shops and you can just use finished network cables to connect
the device.
But be sure to use network cables which are specified for 1000MBit
because 10/100MBit only needs 4 wires and therefore many old cables
won't have all the 8 wires. ;)

Ciao,
     Rainer