On Saturday, January 21, 2012 07:15:30 AM Fox Mulder did opine:

> Am 21.01.2012 00:22, schrieb gene heskett:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have thrown a schematic together, but before I commit to the
> > connector for the cable, which will need at least 5 conductors, GND,
> > Vcc5, A, B, Z signals and needs to be fairly compact, I am drawn to
> > the pcb mounted version of the RJ-11 connector.  But sitting here, I
> > realized that although it is supposed to be a 6 pin connector, I have
> > never seen one with more than 4 positions populated, nor have I seen
> > The matching 6 wire cable. I considered the RJ-45 too, but have not
> > seen any pcb mount jacks in my neck of these woods.  A db9 is just
> > plain too darned big unless the backshell is thrown in the corner.
>
> If you don't need too much current over the cable than RJ45 is a good
> connector. The pcb mounted connector should be available at most
> electronic shops and you can just use finished network cables to connect
> the device.
> But be sure to use network cables which are specified for 1000MBit
> because 10/100MBit only needs 4 wires and therefore many old cables
> won't have all the 8 wires. ;)
>
> Ciao,
>      Rainer

Any cat5 cable I've ever seen has 4 twisted pairs on this side of the pond.
This place has about 400 feet of cat5 strung about and its all just
100mbit.  I think the router I bought last summer can do a gigabit but I
don't believe either side of it is running that fast.

I did find some crimp on 6 wire plugs at the shack last night, and some 25
foot wall to phone cables but the only females were either in the usual 2"
square boxes or in line couplings, half of which were still too big if they
had been pried apart.  So I settled on a 5 way inline with setscrews to
retain the wires.  A lot easier to breadboard for testing too.  Later last
night I fine tuned the .brd file a bit, finally figuring out how adjust a
hole so it didn't snap to the grid which because of that parts foot print I
had to set to 0.05 inches.

But when I tried to run pcbgcode --config I think it was, I got a missing
drill.cfg (or something similar) so when I am awake next, I'll need to read
up on that.  What I did read seems to indicate all drill holes are in the
same file regardless of size, and there is only one 'layer' for unplated
holes.  I would have thought it would put each size of drill in its own
layer so that one could mount a given size drill, and run the output file
for that size of drill.  Probably something I don't understand yet.  The
only real problem I had with the board layout is that I had to repeatedly
ripup the individual nets by hand, all of them, before the auto function
would even try to fix things when I moved parts to actually fit the board
real estate I can use.  Seems to me if there is a Drc error, it should do
an auto-ripup and start all over, but I didn't find that magic twanger to
do that.  But I got it done, so its not a show stopper by any means.

Cheers, Gene
I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
                -- Mae West